Lab of Bioinformatics (LoBI) was newly established in mid of 2013 as a part of Institute of Biotechnology, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology.
The LoBI has deployed analytical tools and computational techniques for biology research. Our motivation is to play a key role in supporting groundbreaking research through close collaborations with experimental and clinical groups within and outside the Institute of Biotechnology. We emphasize a multi-disciplinary approach to analyze and mine data generated by Next Generation Sequencing technology (Illumina MiSeq, HiSeq, ionTorrent PGM, Solid 454…). Characteristic tasks of LoBI are carrying out data QC, statistical analysis, integration and visualization of data from multiple platforms; developing data analysis strategies and contributing to design and implementation of analysis pipelines using best-of-breed bioinformatics software packages. Currently, our research interest lies in the following topics:
- Metagenomics: Phylogenic, diversity and functional analysis of microorganism communities.
- Genomics: Mutation detection and genome-wide analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms. De novo assembly and annotation of draft genome sequences.
- Transcriptomics: De novo assembly, annotation of transcriptome. Analysis of gene expression using RNA-seq data.
On-going research project(s)
- Sequencing and assembly of draft genome of the micro algae Schizochytrium mangrovei PQ6.
Whole genome of the micro algae Schizochytrium mangrovei PQ6 are sequenced using Next Generation Sequencing technology, Illumina MiSeq®, then de novo assembled and annotated to establish a draft genome.
- Metagenomic analysis of microbial community in termite’s gut.
Metagenomes of microbial community in termite gut are sequenced with shotgun metagenomic sequencing, assembled, annotated and functionally analyzed to discover target and novel genes.
- Metagenomic analysis of microbial community in old-growth forest soil.
Metagenomic analysis of microbial community in old-growth forest soil is performed to evaluate its diversity and functional potential.
- Construction of genome database to provide online access and management using BigData technologies.
Cuong Nguyen, PhD
Head, Lab of bioinformatics,
Institute of Biotechnology, Vietnam Academic of Science and Technology
18 Hoang Quoc Viet Street, Cau Giay District, Hanoi, Vietnam